First Surgical AssistantApply Now
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
- Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
- Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
- Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
- Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
- Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
What You Will Do:
The Certified Surgical Technologist (CST), First Surgical Assistant provides aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
- Determines specific equipment needed for each procedure
- May review permit to confirm procedure and any special needs for the procedure.
- Participates in “time out” sessions prior to surgery
- Assists in selection and placement of x-rays for reference
- Assists in moving and positioning of patient.
- Insertion and removal of Foley urinary bladder catheter; based on completed competency verification
- Placement of pneumatic tourniquet.
- Verbal confirmation of the procedure with surgeon.
- Drapes patient within surgeon’s guidelines
What You Will Need:
- Graduate of an accredited surgical technologies program or equivalent.
- Certificaiton of Surgical Technology required
What You Need To Know:
- Locaiton: Daly Operationg Rooms, Baystate Health Medical Center
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Shift: Days
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.