Health Unit Clerk / CNAApply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
This position is 36 hours per week 8am-8:30pm, every other weekend/every other holiday, located in Greenfield, MA.
Reports to the Unit Manager but daily activities are coordinated by the Unit Staff Nurse. Works with patient and family-focused care teams to insure all business functions related to processing patient information, Manages documentation, transcribes orders and organizes patient medical record and chart. Obtains patient test results and other information for records. Facilitates communication among staff, relaying messages/information and running errands. Acts as receptionist for visitors to unit. Orients patients and families to the unit, answering routine questions.
In addition, performs a variety of technical tasks and bedside functions. Responsibilities include direct patient care; hygiene, skin care, mobility and monitoring. Multi-skilled to needs of unit in performing duties relative to phlebotomy and EKGs. Expected to manage equipment and perform or assist in all procedures on unit.
1) Functions as a receptionist for the unit and facilitates the collection/dissemination of information. Telephone Skills - Utilize positive communication style that is customer focused. Answer telephone, "This is Franklin Medical Center, Unit X, my name is ______, how may I help you?". Communicates information in a conscientious manner to maintain patient confidentiality.
2) Provides age-appropriate care to patients. Demonstrated knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when implementing care for patients.
3) Completes patient non-clinical admission and discharge. Verifies data and insurance for admission. Explains and obtains signatures for informed consent and insurance forms. (Medicare or Long Term Care). Assists patients with unpacking and secures valuables. Converts patient to inpatient status as directed. Maintains par Dietary Stock on evening shift.
4) Enters orders into PCIS and/or transcribes written orders. Enters into PCIS and/or transcribes written orders accurately within 30-90 minutes of placement of order in order rack. Relays STAT orders to appropriate RN immediately. Re-enters orders accurately within 20-30 minutes of notification.
5) Initiates, maintains and completes hospital records and logs. Maintains chart in proper sequence and stamps pages with patient's name daily. Prepares medical record prior to patient transfer, faxes and/or copies medical records. observed by Clinical Manager. Prepares discharge records in accordance with Nursing Department policy as evidenced by random review of records. Sends complete discharge record to medical records, by the end of shift. Updates appropriate logs 90-95% of the time, as specified by manager. as specified by manager. Accurately prepares payroll cards for employees as directed by Nurse Manager. as directed by the Nurse Manager. Delivers completed payroll book to cashier before 10AM every week. Manages all patient information according to Franklin Medical Center policy on confidentiality.
6) Maintains accurate and timely communications within unit. Answers telephone consistently in courteous manner with proper identification 100% of the time. Clearly communicates information related to patient care to the team. Answers intercom and relays messages promptly and consistently to team members. Responds to routine inquiries knowledgeably and/or refers them to appropriate person 90-95% of the time. Runs and completes errands within specified time frame as delegated by RN. Ensures identified problems are communicated accurately and promptly. Reports critical lab results immediately to appropriate RN, 100% of the time. Initiates telephone calls as specified by the RN specified by the RN and/or manager. Interacts with patients in a respectful and informative manner. Demonstrates accurate use of intercom, paging and beeper systems in routine communications and emergency situations 100 % of the time.
7) Sorts, distributes and files department incoming mail and incoming computer generated information. Screens and distributes incoming mail within 2-4 hours of receipt. Sorts and distributes incoming computer generated information within 30 minutes - 1 hour of receipt. files completed computer generated information according to the unit protocols. Inventories - maintains and charges supplies. Initiates requisitions as requested accurately and in a timely fashion. Stores supplies within 24 hours of receipt in designated areas 90-95% of the time. Records or submits charges and/or credits for stock medications and other patient supplies as needed. Batches patient charge cards daily, and enters into SMS/PCIS.
8) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures. Verbalizes knowledge and location of emergency equipment as observed by manager. Mobilizes Code team when needed through immediate telephone contact as evidenced by observation and feedback. Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with members of health care team. Assists team members with patient care activities. Provides feedback to coworkers to promote effective team relationships. Communicates an attitude of positive customer focused interactions at all times. Performs other unit activities that support patient care and unit functioning. Attends unit clerk meetings monthly. Attends unit staff meetings monthly. Precepts new unit clerk staff during orientation periods.
9) Takes and records routine vital signs within the specified time frame. Obtains and documents weights/heights, abdominal girths, head circumference (Pediatric Service) as per order 100% of the time as indicated by quarterly review of records. Consistently reports any significant deviations in vital signs as outlined in the procedure immediately. Records and reports, 100% of the time, any change in patient's normal drainage pattern, i.e. Gastric, wound, blood. Administers treatments and procedures in accordance with BMC policy/procedure. Changes dressings within one hour of specified time frame in accordance with established procedure. Provides postmortem care as directed by RN according to BMC policy. Performs all procedures outlined in nursing procedure manual within area of responsibility in accordance with specifications. Assists physicians with exams and simple procedures. Assures identity of patient by checking identification band prior to performing any procedure.
10) Assists patients with elimination of body wastes. Makes available or offers bedpan, urinal and emesis basin immediately after patient request as indicated by absence of patient complaints. Accurately labels and sends specimens of urine, feces and sputum within 30 minutes of specified time frame unless discussed with RN as evidenced by random review of reports. Accurately measures and records intake and output in accordance with established policy as indicated by random review of intake and output forms. Administers enemas or Harris Drips as ordered in accordance with established procedure as observed. Obtain blood specimens for lab analysis from all patients demonstrating appropriate technical and judgmental skills. Follows established phlebotomy procedures and policies for specimen collection - finger stick/glucose. Recognize when assistance is needed to obtain a specimen and seeks assistance from appropriate resource.
Required Work Experience:
1) Min of 1 year previous successful medical secretary or unit clerk exp
2) Documented knowledge of medical terminology required
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Prior CAN experience preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Completes mandatory unit, Patient Care Division and hospital wide in-services and requirements
Education:GED or HiSET (Required)
Certifications:Basic Life Support - American Heart Association, Certified Nurse Aide - Other
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org