Mental Health CounselorApply Now
Location: Greenfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The mission of Baystate Health is “to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.” For over 130 years, Baystate has been a keystone of Western Massachusetts as it has evolved, grown, and emerged as one of the highest quality and most effective health care providers in the nation. Baystate Health was named a top 15 Health System in the country by Thompson Reuters; and is a PRC National Excellence in Healthcare Award Winner. Most recently US News and World Report ranked Baystate Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital as the only two hospitals in Massachusetts to achieve top quality ranking for five common procedures and conditions such as total joint replacement and congestive heart failure.
Baystate Health believes that the advancement of knowledge, through education and research, is essential to its mission of improving the health of the communities it serves. Baystate Medical Center has major programs in postgraduate medical education with residencies in Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Pathology, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Medicine-Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, and Psychiatry; along with 22 fellowship programs.
Baystate Health is a forward-thinking organization. With impressive size, scope, and expertise, Baystate Health is the longtime market leader for health care services in western Massachusetts and is financially solid. However, as in most regions of the country, the healthcare landscape in western Massachusetts has shifted as a result of ever-increasing economic pressures and corresponding provider consolidation. Baystate Health is committed to its position as the key provider of tertiary level medical services to the people of Western Massachusetts. At the same time, Baystate Health has embraced a broader mission of promoting better health for the communities it serves and reducing health disparities. Baystate Health is committed to the provision of high value health care and is transforming how it delivers care and educates the next generation of physicians. One example of this is TechSpring, Baystate Health’s digital health care laboratory in downtown Springfield. Founded in June 2014, TechSpring works with entrepreneurs on ways that health care technology can fade into the background and take up less time.
In June 2015, Baystate Health established a new partnership with the UMass Medical School to develop a new regional clinical campus in Springfield, known as the University of Massachusetts Medical School – Baystate (UMMS-Baystate). UMMS-Baystate is now home to UMMS’ four-year Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health (PURCH) track, which welcomed its inaugural class of 22 medical students in Autumn 2017. Through this innovative program, the three institutions are partnering to strengthen the pipeline of new primary care physicians for the future in Western Massachusetts. These three institutions have also collaborated to create the Institute for Healthcare Delivery & Population Science, to generate and apply new knowledge to transform health care delivery and population health in support of Baystate Health’s strategic goals. The Institute conducts health services research projects in partnership with local, regional, and national stakeholders.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center (BFMC), located in Greenfield, MA, is an 89-bed community hospital that joined Baystate Health in 1986. The hospital boasts a state-of-the-art surgical center and a new endoscopy center that opened in August 2017. BFMC provides high-quality inpatient and outpatient services to communities in Franklin and Hampshire counties, as well as southern Vermont. Specialized programs include wound care and hyperbaric medicine, heart and vascular care, cancer care, family-centered obstetrical care, sports medicine, specialty medical and surgical services, inpatient behavioral medicine, and 24-hour emergency services.
You perform a variety of duties involving patient care and treatment, under the supervision of an RN. Acts within the framework of the Patient Care Division’s philosophy, standards of nursing practice, standards of nursing care and definitions of nursing.
- Provides age-appropriate care to patients. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for all age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients.
- Participates in specific patient care procedures under the direction of the RN. Independently communicates patient information and observations including behaviors promptly to the RN. Collaborates with the RN regarding patient progress and/or the identification and resolution of problems. Organizes patient care activities as required by patient or unit activity. Participates in initial substance use and behavioral health screening and subsequent formulation of behavior treatment plans. Independently and/or collaboratively able to screen for mental health and substance issues, and formulate and implement behavior treatment plans. Reviews plan with staff and patient - documents need for implementation in record. Provides a compassionate, safe milieu for behavioral health patients. Engages in milieu management and brief behavioral health intervention, such as empathetic listening, as needed. Documentation is complete, legible and accurate.
- Participates in unit and educational programs. Attends and participates in unit staff meetings on a regular basis. Attends educational programs.
- Although primary responsibility will be the role of Mental health Counselor, at times will be asked to perform other duties related to patient care.
- Reports to the Clinical Manager but daily activities are coordinated by the CNL. Performs a variety of technical tasks and bedside functions. Responsibilities include direct patient care; hygiene, skin care, mobility and monitoring.
- Interacts with patients in a respectful and informative manner. Clearly communicates information related to patient care to the team.
- Assists team members with clinical activities. Provides feedback related to the team process. Assists team members with non-clinical activities.
- Demonstrates and models principals of service excellence in support of the patient experience.
What will you need?
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology or related field, Master's preferred.
- Relevant experience preferred
- CPR, Healthcare Provider CPR preferred
- High attention to detail
- Strong sense of urgency
- Must be able to multi-task
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) skills
- Ability to recognize fun and have a good sense of humor
This is a 32 hour per week, evenings, 8 hour shift, 2p-1030p, every other weekend and holiday, position located in Greenfield, MA. Candidate must be able to attend day time orientation in Holyoke and Springfield, MA.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.