Patrol OfficerApply Now
Location: Greenfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The mission of Baystate Health is “to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.” For over 130 years, Baystate has been a keystone of Western Massachusetts as it has evolved, grown, and emerged as one of the highest quality and most effective health care providers in the nation. Baystate Health was named a top 15 Health System in the country by Thompson Reuters; and is a PRC National Excellence in Healthcare Award Winner. Most recently US News and World Report ranked Baystate Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital as the only two hospitals in Massachusetts to achieve top quality ranking for five common procedures and conditions such as total joint replacement and congestive heart failure.
Baystate Health believes that the advancement of knowledge, through education and research, is essential to its mission of improving the health of the communities it serves. Baystate Medical Center has major programs in postgraduate medical education with residencies in Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Pathology, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Medicine-Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, and Psychiatry; along with 22 fellowship programs.
Baystate Health is a forward-thinking organization. With impressive size, scope, and expertise, Baystate Health is the longtime market leader for health care services in western Massachusetts and is financially solid. However, as in most regions of the country, the healthcare landscape in western Massachusetts has shifted as a result of ever-increasing economic pressures and corresponding provider consolidation. Baystate Health is committed to its position as the key provider of tertiary level medical services to the people of Western Massachusetts. At the same time, Baystate Health has embraced a broader mission of promoting better health for the communities it serves and reducing health disparities. Baystate Health is committed to the provision of high value health care and is transforming how it delivers care and educates the next generation of physicians. One example of this is TechSpring, Baystate Health’s digital health care laboratory in downtown Springfield. Founded in June 2014, TechSpring works with entrepreneurs on ways that health care technology can fade into the background and take up less time.
In June 2015, Baystate Health established a new partnership with the UMass Medical School to develop a new regional clinical campus in Springfield, known as the University of Massachusetts Medical School – Baystate (UMMS-Baystate). UMMS-Baystate is now home to UMMS’ four-year Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health (PURCH) track, which welcomed its inaugural class of 22 medical students in Autumn 2017. Through this innovative program, the three institutions are partnering to strengthen the pipeline of new primary care physicians for the future in Western Massachusetts. These three institutions have also collaborated to create the Institute for Healthcare Delivery & Population Science, to generate and apply new knowledge to transform health care delivery and population health in support of Baystate Health’s strategic goals. The Institute conducts health services research projects in partnership with local, regional, and national stakeholders.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center (BFMC), located in Greenfield, MA, is an 89-bed community hospital that joined Baystate Health in 1986. The hospital boasts a state-of-the-art surgical center and a new endoscopy center that opened in August 2017. BFMC provides high-quality inpatient and outpatient services to communities in Franklin and Hampshire counties, as well as southern Vermont. Specialized programs include wound care and hyperbaric medicine, heart and vascular care, cancer care, family-centered obstetrical care, sports medicine, specialty medical and surgical services, inpatient behavioral medicine, and 24-hour emergency services.
Under the direction of the security supervisor protects life and property of all persons on Baystate Medical Center property. Patrols hospital buildings and grounds, acts to deter loss of institution, employees, patients and visitors by preventing illegal entry by unauthorized individuals. Monitors surveillance cameras and reports any suspicious activities. Enforces the access control program. Examines doors, windows to ensure they are secure as well as checking and maintaining security of hospital vehicles. Monitors fire, security and infant security protection systems. Officer has the responsibility to dispatch of Security officers on all calls for assistance and response to emergency codes. Provides escorts for employees, visitors and patients. Assists in traffic control for fire and other emergent situations. Assists in traffic control. Handles disruptive situations. Conducts preliminary investigations. Performs special assignments.
- Patrols assigned areas of the institution and exterior premises on foot or mobile patrol according to established schedule. Report any unusual occurrences property damage and thefts and all suspicious activities. Prepares reports specific to the problem noted. Interacts with staff by communicating crime prevention and security awareness information.
- Enforces the access control program.
- Issues visitor badges in accordance with policy. Explains access denials clearly, following policy guidelines. Identifies persons without identification in all areas of Baystate Health facilities. Ensures doors within the patrol area are secured/opened at correct times and completes unsecured door reports. Documents inspection of high risk areas. Clears floors of visitors as requested by nursing staff. Issues vendor and other specialty badges. Takes immediate action to correct security/safety problems. Conducts building rounds to ensure that doors/windows are securely locked. Responds to request to lock and unlock doors and also secures doors according to specified schedules.
- Performs all duties in the command center. Operates the Premisys access control system by acknowledging alarms, opening doors and reporting unusual events to the supervisor. Monitors surveillance cameras, fire and security and infant alarm systems. Ensures correct responses and notifications are made. Dispatches call for assistance as received and appropriate personnel to the scene of the incidents within established time limits as provided in response instructions. Provides information to the public as needed. Responds to and initiates calls to the Springfield Police on the Comnet radio system.
- Responds to codes and other emergencies immediately as directed by the supervisor. Operates fire equipment following department procedures. Has a working knowledge of emergency response plans and assists the supervisor in setting up the emergency operations center (EOC) and staffs the EOC as required. Will also notify Police when appropriate. Performs special assignments.
- Controls the movements of patients identified by the medical staff as being at risk. Provides temporary support to clinics, offices or other areas as required. Operates shuttles and performs mobile patrols. Provide emergency transport of persons, records and specimens. Provides security for special events.
- Provides escorts. Ensures timely and safe escort to employees and others within the medical facility and to parking lots.
- Performs patient watches in Emergency Department and on inpatient units on occasion and upon request.
- Photo ID System- has working knowledge on ID system to create, reprint ID badges and provide access in both 9000 and Premisys System.
- Completes reports and summarizes incidents and records events in a timely and professional manner.
- High School Diploma/GED, Associates Degree preferred
- 3-6 months military, police, fire, corrections, behavioral health or healthcare security experience preferred
- If no security experience, an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in related field may be considered in lieu of experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Word
- Report writing skills
- Solid customer service experience
- Valid Driver’s License
This is a 24 hour per week position, 11p-730a, located in Greenfield, MA. Candidate must be able to attend day time orientation in Holyoke and Springfield, MA.
All Baystate Health transfers are contingent upon receiving a successful reference from your current supervisor and approval from Health Services which may include a drug screen. Transfers may also require verification of additional credentials, a driving record check, a national background check or other employment or background verifications. An authorized Human Resources representative or the hiring manager may review your human resources file if you are selected as the finalist for a position. Internal applicants must meet all requirements and qualifications of the job posting. This position may be part of the Caregiver Identification Program. Please refer to eWorkplace for details.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.