Health Information Management Correspondence SpecialistApply Now
Location: Whitney Avenue Holyoke
Baystate Health is hiring a Health Information Management Correspondence Specialist for a full time position.
This position is responsible for assuring that the functions in Health Information Management are completed in a satisfactory manner. This includes assuring confidentiality of all patient health information, answering telephones performing computer retrieval of information, updating data in the computer systems, preparing reports, providing assistance to Medical Staff, patients, attorneys, state and federal department in the completion and submission of records, having public contact, transmitting data to external parties, releasing of health information and other duties as necessary. All tasks need to be performed following the Operating Principles of Baystate Health.
- Coordinate release of medical information to all requestors, including patients, physicians, healthcare providers and to insurance companies and lawyers. Process subpoenas and court orders.
- Verify authorizations in accordance with hospital policy and procedures and state and federal laws. Examines requests for HIPAA compliance and valid patient authorization. Review medical records for legally protected and sensitive information and obtains specific patient authorization when necessary.
- Log in the correspondence tracking system. Abstract and photocopies/prints required information to adequately fulfill requests for patient information. Notify requestor when records are available. Schedule appointments for review of records by attorney, auditors, patients, employees, etc.
- Receive all calls to the correspondence office and follows up as appropriate. Prepare request for information to be copied meeting established guidelines. Performs performance improvement.
- Identify barriers to excellent service and seek resolution.
- Work with Patient Relations to resolve patient issues, and draft report to share with management.
- Educate staff on customer service skills, provide mentoring.
- Prepare and submit birth certificates to the state Vital Records Statistics Department.
- Perform computer analysis and data entry/updates in BH computer systems.
- Manage difficult conversations effectively, adhering to the BH Service Standards and Operating Principles at all times. Communicate with outside departments on issues that affect the EMR.
- May lead project teams or oversee workflow related to a specific project or function.
What You Will Need:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- 3 years of experience in Medical Records (Health Information Management) required.
Minimum of 1 year of experience in HIM at Baystate Health plus 5 years of HIM/EMR experience preferred.
- Computer systems (Electronic Medical Record).
- MS Office or similar.
- Ability to communicate effectively, written and oral.
- Knowledge of the regulations and laws surrounding the release of health information.
What You Need To Know:
- This is a full time position, 40 hours weekly.
- Work hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 11:00 am-7:30 pm.
- Location: Holyoke, MA.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.