Lead Phlebotomy Technician, Lancaster MAApply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
Position requires incumbent to possess advanced level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy principles, procedures and techniques, performing venipuncture and capillary punctures on patients over a wide range of diverse age groups in a variety of settings. Position requires advanced knowledge of specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities, as well as advanced knowledge of specimen requirements.
Possesses typing skills and computer knowledge in order to accurately perform patient registration and test ordering functions using a multitude of computer applications for live patients and/or drop-off specimens. Acts as a resource for troubleshooting specimen collection and computer related challenges.
Incumbent must possess excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, being a liaison to Client Services, Business and Sales representatives, patients and clients. Must be detail orientated and have a high level of organizational skills. Masters multi-tasking to achieve maximum productivity and smooth operations in the BRL Patient Service Centers delegating work assignments on a daily basis. Excellent judgmental skills.
Assist supervisor with tasks, to include: monitoring day-to-day PSC activities and workflow, input on performance evaluations, competency assessments, performance improvement and development of procedures/policies. May assist with daily scheduling and payroll duties. Responsible for coordination of training activities for new employees, students and others, including completion and submission of required evaluations and assessments and mentoring coworkers with training responsibilities. Assist supervisor with preparation for JCAHO and CAP inspections. Required to participate on special projects and/or committees. Participates with coverage in PSC during inclement weather. Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen selects correct patient and/or episode when performing registration and order entry functions. Completely and correctly labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy with 100% accuracy.
2) Demonstrates a high level of knowledge, judgmental and technical skill performing venous and capillary punctures when collecting blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Performs assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access at an advanced level, with confidence and expertise. Recognizes and responds to patient complications, recognizing when emergent intervention is needed and acting accordingly, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
3) Demonstrates advanced knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Performs specialized testing such as tolerance testing, etc. Acts as a resource in calculating maximum blood volume in collection from pediatric patients referring to current protocol.
4) Performs centrifugation, processing of routine and specialized specimen handling, aliquoting and freezing, utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed, in order to preserve the highest level of specimen integrity. Prepares send-out specimens in accordance to regulations. Ensures specimens are delivered to lab in a timely manner.
5) Performs full and/or short registration for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, thoroughly and accurately enters required information following current registration procedures with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures appropriate diagnoses and signatures for ABNs and MSPs as required for billing. Performs advance level of troubleshooting of registration and test ordering, referring issues to supervisor as appropriate. Acts as a contact and resource for insurance and billing processes.
6) Performs test ordering, data entry and other functions in lab computer systems with completeness and accuracy, to include selection of appropriate case. Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Performs standing order applications and prints SOAP requisitions. Acts as system administrator for SOAP.
7) Works with minimal supervision. Prioritizes workload independently and/or as a team leader, delegating work assignments on a daily basis to maximize productivity and allow for smooth operations and patient satisfaction. Acts as a liaison to Client Services, Business and Sales Reps and health care providers. Provides support to Patient Service Centers operations. Acts as a resource person for a multitude of complex operational and organizational issues and situations. Assists supervisor with oversight and monitoring of day-to-day activities. Promotes adherence to procedures and policies.
8) Assists supervisor with hiring new employees, staffing and completion of competency assessments. Coordinates responsibilities of training new employees, students and others, thoroughly and accurately completing paperwork and submitting as required. Acts as a training mentor and resource. Assists with didactic training sessions for clients or other programs as appropriate. Documents staff performance issues providing supervisor with feedback and giving input into performance reviews. Assists with performance of annual staff competency assessments, completing within established deadlines.
9) Assists supervisor with payroll/Kronos duties. Assists with preparation of policies and procedures. Provides input to design and operation of new PSC's. Participates in and/or conducts informative meetings. Recognizes and identifies ways to reduce errors, including offering suggestions for performance or system improvement and supporting BH Pathology QA initiatives. Assists supervisor/manager with preparation for lab inspections. Participates on committees and special projects. Oversees performance of tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, bio hazardous waste disposal, monthly fire extinguisher inspection. Oversees ordering and supply maintenance. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc.
10) Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills. Displays consistent professional, courteous and helpful demeanor with all patients, visitors, healthcare providers and coworkers. Exercises good judgment and makes sound decisions. Observes and promotes BH Organizational Standards of Behavior. Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to BH and/or departmental policies. Maintains awareness and upholds corporate BH and BMC Pathology Compliance policies and procedures. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance.
Required Work Experience:
1) Completion of formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, CLA, Technical Associate, etc
2) Minimum of 4-5 years phlebotomy experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Advanced phlebotomy skills and knowledge acquired through experience
Education:GED or HiSET (Required)
Certifications:Certified Phlebotomy Technician - Other
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org