Genetic CounselorApply Now
Location: 50 Wason Avenue
As part of our Baystate Genetic practice, you will have the opportunity to use your skills, training and in-depth knowledge of genetic principles and counseling techniques in multiple areas of genetic practice. Our group includes medical geneticists, midlevel practitioners, and genetic counselors. This positon includes opportunities to provide care for patients in the areas of adult, cancer, pediatric, metabolic, and/ or prenatal genetics.
- Knowledge of theories and principles of human genetics and counseling techniques.
- Ability to perform pedigree analysis and risk assessment and use online genetic tools
- Familiarity with general indications for, limitations of and methodology involved in common genetic tests used in the areas of cytogenetics, biochemical genetics and molecular genetics.
- Respectful, empathetic, caring attitude and ability to manage and solve problems.
- Patient-family assessments:
- collect and evaluate medical and family histories
- obtain and review medical records to confirm reported diagnoses
- evaluate complex medical and genetic literature from varied sources and incorporate into clinical practice
- perform psychosocial assessment during genetic consultation
- Provide explanation of relevant hereditary factors and address previously held misconceptions about inheritance; facilitate referrals for other family members who seek information; explain available testing options including risks, benefits and limitations of testing. Provide pre- and post-test genetic counseling.
- Master’s Degree from an American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) accredited genetic program and board certified / eligible
- MA License (BRGC)
- Candidates who are not certified / licensed are required to obtain certification / licensure within one year of employment. Failure to do may necessitate reassignment or separation of employment.
What You Need To Know:
Full-time / 40 hours
Location: Springfield, MA
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.