Counselor Psych Unit Baystate Wing Hospital
Under the direction of the Manager performs a wide range of functions related to the care and treatment of our patients in the Department. These functions include participating in the multidisciplinary team approach to patient care, providing a safe and therapeutic environment and documentation of such. In addition, provides basic ADL care to our patients, demonstrates knowledge of the developmental stages and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing activities. Incumbent is expected to adhere to System and department compliance policies, and any and all applicable laws and regulations. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Participates in Multidisciplinary Team approach to patient care. Is familiar with admission and progress notes of team members to develop a better understanding of patients. Collaborates with the team in evaluating patients, planning therapy and developing treatment goals. Reports observations of patients' status to the team and provides input in the preparation and updating of the treatment plans. Assists team members in providing care to patients and follows through with team decisions. Welcomes new staff and assists in orienting them to the department.
2) Provides a safe environment. Conducts daily sharps checks on patients upon arrival and when indicated by the Team. Intervenes appropriately during crisis situations by providing support, patient escorts and authorizes restraint and seclusions. Maintains safety by monitoring groups, time aways and restraint and seclusions. Observes for potential safety hazards on the unit and reports hazards immediately to supervisors. Maintains safety by adhering to behavior management principles including Collaborative Problem Solving techniques.
3) Documents patient mental status, social behavior and progress towards identifying goals daily. Documents the ongoing assessment of patients by completing monitoring and rounds sheets. Documents restraints and seclusions in accordance with policies. Documents all necessary information in EMR as dictated by policy and procedure.
4) Provides a therapeutic milieu. Assesses patient mental status social and symptomatic behavior and progress towards identified goals daily. Counsels patients with empathy and respect to assist them to formulate treatment goals. Refers patients' physical problems to RN for assessment and intervention. Collaborates with Team to initiate and implement plan of care to meet ADL needs of patients who are unable to perform these tasks themselves. Identifies patient knowledge deficits and implements appropriate teaching in collaboration with the team. Assists in the development and implementations of special approaches and provides 1:1 intervention when indicated. Adheres to defined boundaries and guidelines regarding self disclosure with patients. Co-facilitates group therapy and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed. Develops plans and implements psycho educational groups and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed.
5) Demonstrates accountability for personal and professional growth.Demonstrates support for the programs philosophy and adhering to policies, procedures and standards. Attends all mandatory in-services on an annual basis. Collaborates with supervisors to identify own professional goals and seeks experience to accomplish these goals. Assists with the identification of program in-service needs.
6) Demonstrates effective use of the behavior management principles and Collaborative Problem Solving techniques. Develops and implements special programming. Assists co-workers in daily activities and replaces them as needed.
What you will need?
- Associate'd Degree Psychology, Education or related Human Service field. Will consider job related experience
- Experience working with individuals in a behavioral health setting
- CPR Certification Required - Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must complete initial CPI training within 60 days of employment
- Age Specific Competencies in- service or equivalent training
- Behavior Management Training/Collaborative Problem Solving
Restraint and Seclusion in service or equivalent training
Position located in the Inpatient Parker Psych Unit at Baystate Wing Hospital, Palmer, MA
Part-time, 16 Hours/Week, 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm shift including rotating weekends and holidays
Please submit resume with online application
Associates of Science: Psychology (Required)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - Various, Certified Crisis Prevention - Crisis Prevention Institute
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org