Behavioral Resource NurseApply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
What You Will Do:
Under the direction of the Behavioral Resource Team Nurse Manager and in collaboration with the Program Supervisor of the Behavioral Resource Team, performs a wide range of functions related to the care of behaviorally challenging patients throughout Baystate Medical Center.
Work with unit staff to reduce violent incidents by the appropriate, therapeutic and effective use of the full range of best practices and evidence-based interventions. Supports nursing staff in assuring patient safety while making most efficient and effective use of hospital resources, including constant companions, blocked beds and behavioral health counseling support. Provides behavioral health education and support to med/surg nursing staff, both in the context of care for individual patients and in the context of broader programming. Works in close collaboration with the Psychiatry Consultation Service and Adult Psychiatric Treatment Unit to assure coordinated behavioral health services for patients throughout the hospital.
1) Assist med/surg nursing teams with progressing the care for behavioral health patients and patients with behavioral concerns, located in non-behavioral health settings.
2) Work closely with BMC unit staff to formulate care plans with targeted interventions and strategies to maintain behavioral control tailored as much as possible to the individual needs and rights of the person.
3) Recognize and coordinate opportunities to open closed / blocked beds.
4) Recognize and coordinate opportunities to manage patient safety without use of constant companions, including use of tele-monitoring, intermittent rounding and behavioral care planning. Coordinate such recommendations with nursing unit leadership and attending providers.
5) Attend daily patient progress huddles to identify clinical cases for opportunities to provide education and support to nursing teams.
6) Coordinate efforts with Psychiatry Consultation Service to transition patients to APTU.
7) Collect and record data associated with outcome measures for areas such as CC usage, opening of closed / blocked beds, efficiency and effectiveness of communication, efficiency of transfers to APTU and others as assigned.
8) Determine whether a patient presents a risk and, if they do, what may happen, to whom and in which circumstances. Develop a coherent management plan to be implemented that reduces the likelihood of that set of circumstances occurring.
9) Respond to Code Yellow events and assist staff to understand and develop attitudes and skills to de-escalate these situations.
10) Work with Behavioral Resource Team Program Supervisor to provide education and support to the CC team members to ensure acquisition of knowledge, skills and attitudes that translate into best practice and contribute to excellence in patient safety and quality.
11) Serve as educational resource for Behavioral Health issues requiring immediate intervention on med/surg nursing units.
12) Work with med/surg nurse managers and nursing leadership to identify areas for educational support for med/surg nursing staff, and work with behavioral health nurse manager and program supervisor to develop and implement educational programming.
13) Collaborates with Behavioral Health Care Coordinator in the ED to proactively develop behavioral care plans for patients being admitted from the ED to med/surg floors with behavioral dysregulation or behavioral health needs.
What You Will Need:
1) 5 years of direct clinical psych nursing
2) Successfully passed Board of Registration in Nursing Examination and is licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
3) Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider CPR certification required.
4) Education: Masters Degree in Nursing
5)ANCC Board certified in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing (within 1 year of hire)
What You Need To Know:
Hours: Full Time, 40 hrs
Education:Master of Nursing (Required)
Certifications:Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse - American Nurses Credentialing Center, Registered Nurse - State of Massachusetts
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.