Child Life Specialist - Per DiemApply Now
Full / Part Time:Part time
The Child Life Specialist is responsible for the provision of child life focused care to children and their families served in a variety of health care settings. Individualized, therapeutic interventions are facilitated through collaboration with the patient, family, and health care team members. The choice of play outlets, educational approaches, and emotional support are built upon a strong foundation child life theory and expertise gained through ongoing practice experiences and intentional commitment to ongoing child life education. The child life specialist functions as an integral partner of the health care team, facilitating patient- and family-centered support and advocating and enabling psychosocially sound practices across the continuum of care.
CCLS I - Proficient Practice: The child life specialist practicing at this level is applying skills and knowledge obtained through her/his internship, previous employment, or obtained during period since employment at Baystate Health System. This clinician requires ongoing direct education and mentoring by senior child life specialists and health care team colleagues. This description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform similar and related duties as assigned. The Child Life & Healing Arts Manager is responsible for ensuring that the child life specialist consistently meets the necessary behaviors
1) Anticipates, initiates, and responds collaboratively to provide developmentally appropriate procedural teaching for patients and families utilizing available resources.
2) Identifies patient/family learning needs, readiness to learn and choices. Meets patient/family needs by using appropriate internal/external educational resources. Recognizes and respects consequences of patient/family decisions.
3) Recognizes, addresses, and utilizes therapeutic play to facilitate mastery and coping.
4) Assists patient/family in identifying concerns and seeks assistance as necessary to advocate for patient/family needs.
5) Completes Minimum Requirements and Additional Responsibilities at CCLS I, Proficient Level- from the Clinical Recognition Program listing
Required Work Experience:
1) Child Life Internship & completion of Child Life Orientation at BCH; preferred
2) Child Life Specialist Certification required, or certification eligible and must pass exam within 12 months of hire (at a lower level).
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must be able to balance a wide variety of patient/family/program needs to best address an individualized plan of care for patients seen on the inpatient units, in the Pedi ED, Special Procedures, Radiology or other areas where Child Life Services are provided
2) Must communicate positively with patients/families & staff
3) Must be highly engaged with child life role and bring an energetic, professional demeanor to each encounter
Education:Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Certifications:Child Life Specialist - Association of Child Life Professionals
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org