Financial CounselorApply Now
Location: Baystate Medical Center
Baystate Health is seeking an Inpatient Financial Counselor for a part time position.
Under the direction of the Financial Counselor Supervisor and Manager, a Financial Counselor will provide services to uninsured and underinsured patients in assigned inpatient and outpatient settings. These services include walking patients through state-wide insurance and grant program options, certified assitance in application process, and insurance benefit and selfpay balance education.
What you will do:
- Secure sponsorship for uninsured and underinsured patients by screening patients for eligibility for a variety of grant and/or government sponsored programs, identifying and counseling Medicare patients without secondary insurance, assisting with applications for supplemental coverage, and ensuring all billing information has been obtained for liability cases and newborn coverage.
- Assist patients in completing MassHealth, DDU, and BHS Financial Assistance applications and help approved patients in selecting a plan and denied patients in redetermination efforts.Track status of initiated applications to facilitate and expedite the approval process.
- Correct/update patient and guarantor demographic, financial, and insurance information in appropriate systems. Ensures that all data collected fulfills requirements for claim submission to third parties. Thoroughly documents significant account activity appropriately.
- Maintain knowledge of current resources available to the uninsured and underinsured making appropriate referrals as necessary.
- Collaborate with case managers, social workers, and nursing units on various eligibility requirements and patient benefits to obtain the most comprehensive coverage and sponsorship possible.
- Maintain knowledge of payer guidelines pertaining to benefit, eligibility, and authorization information by use of web portals and carrier communications.
- Perform mentoring responsibilities during new staff introductory period.
- Demonstrate knowledge of hospital billing functions and applications.
- Attend state and regional meetings regarding MassHealth guidelines and training. Share knowledge with fellow staff and leadership professionally and in an effort to close any education gaps.
- Demonstrate organizational awareness in order to take initiative to find solutions to problems. Initiate improvements for benefit of team.
- Provide feedback and coaching to fellow employees when the opportunity presents.
- Assist leadership with the creation and maintenance of departmental Policies and Procedures.
What you will need:
- High School Diploma/GED required, Associates Degree preferred.
- Mastery in Financial Counseling levell III activities required.
- Experience in Healthcare Accounts Receivable or equivalent preferred.
- Billingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- May underfill as a Financial Counselor I - Customer Service experience required.
- Typing of 25 wpm required.
What you need to know:
- Hours: This is a part time position (20 hours Weekly) 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM, Monday through Friday, with rotating weekends required.
- Location: This position is located in Springfield, MA. Requires rotation between the health centers and the main campus.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.