HVAC Control System TechnicianApply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
Under general the direction of the Supervisor of the HVAC Shop, the HVAC Control System Technician Level 2 is the technical lead for all HVAC Controls systems projects, as well as the design obligations, field and office engineering work related to the planning, design, construction and maintenance of the building control system. Provides technical oversight and coordination of engineering work, through project meetings, monitors progress against project schedules.
HVAC Control System Technician level 2 also supports the level 1 technician in the installation, calibration and maintenance of Building Automation System (BAS) HVAC control system, by checking on and maintaining thermostats, meters, valves and more, as well as providing diagnostics or repair services on climate control systems. This person will also support the service, systems integration and installation of projects system-wide at BMC, on as as needed basis. Provide professional assistance and technical advice to Facilities Project Managers
The HVAC Control System Technician will work closely with other leadership positions throughout the organization and must have a strong ability to work as a team member in order to affect the successful completion of the short and long term objectives of Baystate Health. Provide leadership and coaching at the team level. Ensure clear divisions of responsibility on all activities, facilitate teamwork, communicate clear expectation. Performs other duties as assigned.
1) Responsible for supervising control projects, from schematic design level through construction and to project closeout documentation. Coordinate individual and/or multiple construction projects. Coordinate the clients program with all consultants and contractors. Assures compliance of work with contract documents.
Works as project coordinator during installation of the building controls systems. Projects performed in house the Level 2 Tech will work electrical / mechanical sub-contractors along with the in-house staff to execute system installations.
2) Evaluates control system equipment performance and recommends improvements to maintenance program and system design. Maintains a proper preventative maintenance program through reports and logs of equipment and assists with training of the HVAC mechanics on staff.
3) Develops a means and standards to which Baystate Health building controls must adhere. Works with project design engineers, outside contractors, facilities group, and engineering staff to create energy efficient building controls solutions. Being involved in the design affords Baystate Health the highest quality finished product within project budget while maintaining system standardization. Building controls system are extremely complex and time lost working with unfamiliar systems leave our patients and staff at risk to unsafe environments.In-house capabilities include retrofit upgrades of end of life systems
4) The Level 2 Tech develops the software sequences used throughout the Baystate Health network. To create software that meets the need of all HVAC system Types including, operating rooms, patient isolation rooms, pharmacy clean rooms, and procedure rooms. Works closely with the I.S. department to build and maintain a VPN network of all properties along with a virtual server that hosts the Web Control application.
While I.S. manages the environment the Level 2 Tech will be responsible for the all administrative duties of the application to ensure maximum up time. Creates and maintains the notifications of system failures via email notifications to corresponding engineering departments.
5) Install, diagnose and repair complex electronic control systems requiring extensive knowledge of a variety of electronic or digital controls systems, as well as basic knowledge of legacy pneumatic control systems.
6) Install, configure, troubleshoot and repair local controllers, sensors and communication wiring.
7) Implement, monitor and maintain equipment scheduling and system alarms. Setup, configure and manage custom trends and custom reports for diagnostic purposes.
8) Review controls design documents for quality assurance prior to bid. Provide customer service and communication program for client.
9) Develop project scope with clients and outside consultants and assure the adherence to BMC standards and needs with all consultants and contractors. Develop and maintain project scope, schedules and files.
10) Commission projects, ensuring equipment is installed and programmed per engineered drawings. Perform point-to-point checkouts to insure connectivity between field devices and controllers.
11) Have an in-depth knowledge of HVAC equipment controls and the ability to train people of different education levels is essential.
12) Must be self-motivated, possess excellent time management skills, capable of working with little or no direction, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and committed to maintaining a safe work environment.
13) Maintain thorough knowledge of current methods and codes related to JC Standards, as it relates to Baystate Medical Center.
14) Possess and utilize electric and mechanical skills and experience to perform preventive maintenance, diagnose problems and determine the best way to correct them.
15) Knowledge of and familiarity with hand tools, power tools and equipment associated with maintenance trades. Ability to follow directions and work independently or work as part of a team and the ability to work well and cooperatively with people from diverse backgrounds.
16) Ability to solve problems, ask questions and think through solutions related to building maintenance and repair.
17) Report all possible building deficiencies, safety issues and maintenance schedules to the Chief Engineer and or Manager/Supervisor.
18) Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but limited to, lifting equipment, bending, standing, climbing or walking. Must be able to safely use manual tools and power equipment common in the construction trades.
19) Work flexible days / hours on an as needed basis to maintain system operation with little to no disruption to our patients and staff.
20) After hours availability to troubleshoot critical building systems during potential failures.
Required Work Experience:
1) 7+ years as controls technician with HVAC Building Automation controls company, and 5 years running controls systems projects
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Experience with Automated Logic Controls, Johnson Controls and system wide integration system of BACnet systems
Skills and Competencies:
1) Advanced mechanical skills and ability to read and understand blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams
Education:Associate of Arts (Required)
Certifications:Driver License - Other, Licensed Electrician - State of Massachusetts, OSHA Recordkeeping Rule Certification - Occupational Safety and Health Standards Agency
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org