Entry level position is expected to do the following job functions:Develops basic skill and knowledge to provide support to nursing home and homedraw services using multiple computer applications to include: thorough and accurate patient registrations and test ordering; Forecasted orders for nursing home; Standing Order application for home draws; and other programs. Develops skills at reviewing laboratory requisitions. Interaction with clients and BRL support staff requires incumbent to possess good interpersonal and communication skills, establishing and maintaining good client relations while presenting a professional manner at all times. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize work while maintaining acceptable level of productivity. Demonstrates good organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
1) Enters new/updated orders for nursing home, homedraw and standing orders into Oracle or lab database with accuracy to insure correct testing. Performs full patient registrations following all current registration procedures. Thoroughly reviews patient demographics/orders for required information and completeness, contacting client for clarification if demographics/orders are unclear. Accurately enters required information to include: demographics, physician, location and ICD-9 codes or diagnosis. Performs tasks related to ABN's to include printing document for signature and requesting appropriate DX from client. Develops the ability to troubleshoot basic order entry/database issues and take appropriate action, referring issues to lead or supervisor as necessary.
2) Prints nursing home/home draw orders and collection labels. Affixes specimen labels to patient orders with accuracy. Prints weekly/monthly/yearly orders for client review and updates orders in appropriate computer system/s. Adjusts order collection dates as required. Maintains and upkeeps inactive and expired orders/files.
3) Performs clerical duties to include printing, photocopying, faxing, filing, mailing letters, etc. Assists with preparation of letters to physicians regarding homedraw orders.
4) Maintains a neat and professional appearance adhering to department uniform policy and maintaining good personal grooming. Answers telephone in a professional manner
5) Willingly accepts changes in the work schedule as necessary to accommodate staffing needs. Communicates effectively with other staff members.
6) Completes assigned reading/special projects/duties within established time. Maintains educational assignments when warranted. Continues to develop medical terminology at different levels..
7) Performs opening and closing procedures as established. Performs random QA of demographic and order entry. May have some contact with Bio-hazardous materials.
8) Annually reviews the Corporate Compliance and the BHS Pathology Compliance Policies.
9) Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws etc. which apply to specific work area and incorporates changes, additions, etc. into daily routine.
High School or GED required
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Knowledge of computers and typing skills required, excellent verbal communication and telephone skills
Hours: 20 weekly
Schedule: start 7p-9p
Occasional weekends and holidays
GED or HiSET (Required), High School Diploma (Required)
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org