Laboratory Assistant BRLApply Now
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health is seeking a Part-time Laboratory Assistant BRL
What You Will Do:
LCRI is a central receiving and communication area between internal Pathology Departments of BMC, BFMC and BMLH, collaborating with and acting as liaison and used as a resource between Pathology staff and the laboratory.
Responsibilities will include:
- Performs all skills for registering, receiving, checking and tracking of all specimens entering the main laboratory via couriers, messengers, and the pneumatic tube system. Accurately performs short registrations from laboratory requisitions following all current registration procedures.
- Deliver specimens to appropriate department in a timely manner, handling and storing specimens for closed laboratories appropriately following procedures during off hours. Communicates extremely effectively with lab staff by announcing any type of priority or special handling scenario.
- Performs short registration on specimens following all current registration procedures using both Atlas and SMS.
- Enters all necessary information into Salesforce for some specimen investigations of unclear demographics or test orders and on follow-up forms. Uses resources available for assistance in following up with for clarification on inpatient and outpatient specimens.
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation, develops proficient knowledge of specimen integrity, specimen handling and specimen labeling requirements.
- Accurately performs centrifugation and processing of laboratory specimens to ensure delivery to appropriate department at main lab following delivery schedule.
- Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification if order/information is unclear or does not match. Accurately selects and orders tests under appropriate billing case.
- Investigates and resolves basic specimen investigation and misdirected report issues. Documents BRL errors, contacts patients for recollection. Maintains accurate, thorough and complete documentation.
- Ensures selection of correct patient and episode with 100% accuracy, as well as patient identification and labeling.
- Answers incoming calls for patient test results, supply orders, specimen requirements, transport, courier, phlebotomy dispatch, outpatient pricing, orders for add-on testing, and any other client issues.
- Learns and implements procedures for OnBase to scan requisitions from multiple areas.
- Willingly accepts changes in the work schedule as necessary to accommodate staffing needs.
What You Will Need:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of computers and typing skills required
What You Need To Know:
- Part-time / 16 hours
- Position is first shift, 8hr shifts every Saturday and Sunday with rotating holidays. Variable start times between 5am and 7am.
- Location: Springfield, MA
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.