Manager of CompensationApply Now Job ID 75807 Date posted 04/03/2017
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health is seeking a Full-time Manager of Compensation
What You Will Do:
As the Baystate Manager of Compensation you will be reporting to the Sr. Director of Total Rewards the Compensation Manager implements the organization's compensation strategy so that outcomes meet current and future business needs and are consistent with the organization's desired internal and external market position. Design and implement compensation programs to meet objectives with regards to internal equity and external market competitiveness. These programs may include: job evaluation; salary administration; short-term and long-term incentive plans; executive and physician compensation. Liaise with managers to develop and implement local compensation strategies appropriate for their business needs and consistent with the organization's overall reward strategy. Analyze and evaluate external market data and internal data about the current and projected employee population to develop salary budgets and forecasts. Select and manage relationships with consultants and suppliers to ensure satisfactory standards of service. Lead, manage, evaluate and develop a team of professionals to ensure the reward strategy is implemented effectively, within established budgets and complies with all relevant regulations, laws and employment standards.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Work in a consultative role with leadership, Human Resource Consultants, Talent Acquisition, and other HR team members on complex issues related to wages, general compensation, reorganizations, wage and hour regulations, and compensation policies. Collaborates with HR Business Partners and leadership to identify and resolve recruitment and retention issues. Supports and guides Compensation Consultant, Analyst and/or Associate on issues related to their areas. Works with the Director, HR Consultants, Talent Acquisition and leadership regarding complex issues related career ladder promotional increases, internal equity issues, and special pay programs. Recommends creative solutions to specific compensation-related programs.
- In accordance with FLSA regulations, evaluates new clinical and complex job descriptions for completion and clarity and FLSA status. Refers to market data and internal data to develop recommendations for appropriate grades and pay levels. Reviews job descriptions changes as requested. Identifies discrepancies, researches reasons for differences, makes recommendations for changes (including grade, title, job description, and pay). Ensures that files and system are updated and documents changes appropriately. Reviews and approves outcomes of recommendations by Compensation Analyst and/or Associate related to job evaluations, mentors on appropriate evaluation methodology and FLSA regulations as needed.
- Manage the participation in, conducts and/or purchases salary surveys to ensure compensation objectives are met. Reviews incoming survey requests for participation, recommends participation and frequency of participation. Responsible for the timely submission of salary surveys and maintenance of the salary survey files and appropriate system and Access tables. Monitors budget to ensure there appropriate funding is available before committing to purchase any surveys. Conducts thorough market analyses and related recommendations annually. Trains team members on appropriate methodology for survey completion and analyses.
- In accordance with Pay for Performance, supports leadership and HRBPs in navigating Wage Program applications. Works with team members in the development and implementation of recommendations for grade changes and structure movement for their applicable areas. Maintains and develops market analysis and costing estimates for the annual wage programs. Analyzes market competitiveness and external market conditions. Prepares recommendations for management and budget projections for implementation of changes. Has oversight of team members for completion of appropriate wage program functions. Advises team members on appropriate resolution of complex wage program questions and/or concerns.
- Develop recommendations for and maintains incentive programs for employees (non-management programs) to include design of the program, presentation to leadership, communication, implementation, and calculation of awards and maintenance of the program. Reviews requests for spot bonuses and makes recommendations to Director and/or VP for approval or denial. Reviews recommendations made by and makes recommendations for approval of STI programs for team member areas.
- In accordance with state and federal regulations, collaborates with HR Service Center and Payroll to resolve any pay related issues including overpayments, retro-active pay and policy interpretation. Maintains system understanding of timekeeping software to facilitate recommendations for improvement and/or changes to the system for streamlined processes and enhanced functionality.
- Develops and facilitates training programs for leadership and HR Team members to enhance the general understanding of compensation, regulations, federal and state laws and general compensation principles. Identifies areas and/or leadership or HR team members who may benefit from training programs through traditional compensation consulting role. Guides compensation team members on appropriate training methods and presentations and mentors team members on presentation skill development.
- Support the Director in development and implementation of Compensation, HR or business unit initiatives. Maintains working knowledge of management and physician compensation plans. Resolves questions and issues relating to policy as appropriate in Director's absence.
- Mentoring - Mentors the Consultant, Associate and/or Analyst in the appropriate grading, analyses, and state and federal regulations on complex issues. Works with Associate and/or Analyst to develop their skills regarding job evaluation, market analysis, and general consulting role to facilitate greater depth of knowledge and skill level of the Associate or Analyst.
- Develops, maintains and maximizes databases and system modules as needed. Develops techniques for compiling, preparing and presenting data. Participates on cross-functional team in the review and selection of compensation-related software or systems. Manages vendor relationship to ensure service level standards are met.
- Develops complex spreadsheets, costing analyses, and various other analytical materials in support of role.
- Facilitates and/or partners on committees as requested.
- Works on projects as identified and requested.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor's Degree in HR Management or Business
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in Compensation. Advanced computer skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and HRIS experience required.
- SPHR is preferred
- CCP or CMS is preferred
- Demonstrated competency in job requirements.
- In depth knowledge of position evaluation programs and analysis of market data, and understanding of HR functions, practices and policies.
- Solid understand of State and Federal regulations regarding wage and hour laws.
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal, leadership and presentation skills.
- Advanced PC skills in Microsoft including Excel and Access.
What You Need To Know:
Full-time / 40 hours
Location: 280 Chestnut Street, Springfield MA
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.