Materials TechnicianApply Now
Location: Baystate Medical Center
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The Materials Technician performs a wide variety of supply chain activities including the ordering and replenishment of medical/surgical and general hospital supplies. The Materials Technician is the key liaison between Materials Management and inpatient nursing areas, surgical services, emergency services, cardiac catheterization, women & infants services, and various other clinical and non-clinical departments for the majority of supply chain services.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the Lawson MMIS, Lawson Cart Profiles, hand-held technology, and Pyxis Supply Automation System.
- Initiate the stock replenishment process, order goods, and handle re-stocking of supplies.
- Select orders utilizing the Lawson MMIS locator system, and efficiently deliver orders with respect to the sensitivity of the patient care environment.
- Verifies accuracy of items received, inspects packaging to ensure sterility and integrity, and handle all inventory in a safe manner. Store all equipment and supplies in designated location, and check & rotate all dated material.
- Follow event-related sterility policy for handling patient care equipment and rotation of dated supplies.
- Build and maintain the Pyxis inventory master item list for area of responsibility. Ensure that service codes within the Charge Description Master (CDM) are accurately reflected within the Lawson MMIS and Pyxis system.
- Train newly hired personnel on the various responsibilities of the Materials Technician position, including the correct use of the Pyxis automated supply station, hand-held inventory technology and the Lawson MMIS.
- Maintain an inventory of patient care equipment to ensure availability for clinical service areas.
- Assist in performing weekly cycle counts in the service areas, monthly cycle counts in the Distribution Center, and semi-annual physical inventory.
- Add and/or delete items based on utilization needs in clinical areas. Maintain work area in a clean and orderly condition in accordance with hospital departmental policies and guidelines.
What you will need:
- High School Diploma/GED required
- 1 year's related materials experience required
- Must possess the ability to make sound judgments and solve problems within the scope of responsibility, and perform various activities according to priority and emergent situations.
- Must demonstrate initiative in completing tasks and the ability to work towards defined objectives with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Valid driver’s license preferred.
- Proven ability to demonstrate creativity in gaining efficiencies in the healthcare environment required.
What you need to know:
- This is a per diem position, and requires flexible work hours.
- Weekend and holiday rotation is required for this position.
- This position is located at Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield MA.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.