Materials TechnicianApply Now
Location: Baystate Medical Center
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The BMC Materials Technician performs a wide variety of supply chain activities including the ordering and replenishment of medical/surgical and general hospital supplies. The Materials Technician is the key liaison between Materials Management and inpatient nursing areas, surgical services, emergency services, cardiac catheterization, women & infants services, and various other clinical and non-clinical departments for the majority of supply chain services. The Materials Technician is responsible for working with the clinical department managers and staff to ensure appropriate product is stocked to meet patient care needs. The incumbent is responsible for conducting inventory and ordering supplies for areas of responsibility using hand-held technology and Pyxis automated supply stations. The Materials Technician provides usage and compliance reports to nursing management and other service leaders to appropriately assess patient charge compliance for all items dispensed through Pyxis. The position is responsible for creating and updating the item master files for all supply items, and collaborates with managers when products are added or deleted from stock. The incumbent ensures the continual integrity of information between Pyxis stations and hand-held technology interfaced to the Lawson Materials Management Information System (MMIS). In addition, the Materials Technician is responsible for providing patient care equipment and sterile re-processed goods to internal customers throughout the hospital.
This is a per diem 1st shift position.
- Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of the Lawson MMIS, Lawson Cart Profiles, hand-held technology, and Pyxis Supply Automation System.
- Initiates the stock replenishment process, orders goods, and handles re-stocking of supplies.
- Selects orders utilizing the Lawson MMIS locator system, and efficiently delivers orders with respect to the sensitivity of the patient care environment.
- Verifies accuracy of items received, inspects packaging to ensure sterility and integrity, and handles all inventory in a safe manner. Stores all equipment and supplies in designated location, and checks & rotates all dated material.
- Follows event-related sterility policy for handling patient care equipment and rotation of dated supplies.
- Builds and maintains the Pyxis inventory master item list for area of responsibility. Ensures that service codes within the Charge Description Master (CDM) are accurately reflected within the Lawson MMIS and Pyxis system.
- Train newly hired personnel on the various responsibilities of the Materials Technician position, including the correct use of the Pyxis automated supply station, hand-held inventory technology and the Lawson MMIS.
- Maintains an inventory of patient care equipment to ensure availability for clinical service areas
- Assists in performing weekly cycle counts in the service areas, monthly cycle counts in the Distribution Center, and semi-annual physical inventory.
- Adds and/or deletes items based on utilization needs in clinical areas. Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition in accordance with hospital departmental policies and guidelines.
- High School Dipolma or GED
- Must have at least 1 year's related materials experience; 2-5 years preferred.
- Must possess the ability to make sound judgments and solve problems within the scope of responsibility and perform various activities according to priority and emergent situations.
- Must demonstrate initiative in completing tasks and requires the ability to work towards defined objectives with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Proven ability to demonstrate creativity in gaining efficiencies in the healthcare environment required.
- 2-5 years related materials experiencepreferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with nursing, physicians, and other members of the health care team in a courteous and effective manner.
- Technological aptitude to work with automated supply stations and hand-held technology, and basic computer skills and excellent math skills required.
- Creates a customer friendly atmosphere.
- Projects a positive attitude and sincere concern for all patients, customers, and co-workers.
- Communicates and responds effectively in a courteous and helpful manner with patients, visitors, and staff as observed by manager.
- Demonstrates the ability to “Go the extra mile” in meeting all customer needs as observed by manager or customer feedback.
- Encourages and supports a customer service approach among work groups and team members as observed by manner and feedback from others.
- Maintains inventory of assigned areas in accordance with established departmental procedures.
- Insures that all daily inventories scheduled are performed.
- Insures that all direct orders are ordered and maintained in proper quantities to minimize vendor back orders.
- Review line items of inventory master with accuracy as indicated by random review by coordinator.
- Maintains order for floor stock in proper location.
- Monitors par levels and returns excessive overstock within 24 hours of coverage as observed by coordinator or supervisor and or customer feedback.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.