We are experiencing technical difficulties and are working to address them. We thank you for your patience.
Medical Interpreter, American Sign LanguageApply Now
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health is seeking a full time ASL interpreter.
In this role you will provide interpreter and transliterating services between English and American Sign Language throughout Baystate Health.
What you will do:
- Follows the Standards of Practice set forth by the National Council on Interpreting in Healthcare and the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct. Attends at least 9 departmental staff meetings each calendar year.
- Provides visual and oral interpretation for patients and providers. Explains cultural differences to patients and providers to promote understanding and facilitate quality patient care. Conducts reminder calls for Deaf and hard of hearing patients and follow up calls when patients do not show up to scheduled appointments to determine reason and to reshedule as necessary. Supports Patient Needs with sensitivity.
- Assesses the needs of Deaf, late-deafened, hard of hearing, deaf/blind, patients and/or family members for assistive devices and interpreter(s), and ensures scheduling software and the electronic medical record detail needs established. Coordinates with Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to meet patient needs throughout the health system.
- In coordination with the supervisor/manager of Interpreter & Translation Services and the BH ADA coordinator, determines the training needs fo BH staff regarding the Deaf and hard of hearing. Creates and coordinate sessions to train hospital staff on Deaf culture and the needs of the Deaf, late-deafened, hard of hearing, and Deaf/ blind.
- Coordinates with the Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to determine what trainings are available and schedules them as needed in coordination with the supervisor/manager of Interpreter & Translation Services. Determines what additional training needs remain and in conjunction with the supervisor/manager of Interpreter & Translation Services and the ADA coordinator for BH and creates trainings to meet those needs.
- Assists with operations of Interpreter & Translation Services Office. Answers departmental phone lines, resolves issues, and books interpreter requests in booking software as needed, especially but not exclusively for the Deaf patient population and/or Deaf or hard of hearing family members.
What you will need:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years of NIC, CI & CT, CSC Master, or NAD IV or V required.
- Five years of general ASL experience preferred.
- NIC(National Interpreter Certification) -- Advanced or Master Level; or CI & CT; or CSC Master Level; or NAD Level IV or V via Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf required.
What you need to know:
• This is a full time position with flexible hours needed; primarily days.
• This position is located in Springfield, MA.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.