Mgr Payroll BHSApply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
1) Responsible for all aspects of $1 billion annual payroll for all 12,000 Baystate Health employees, 10 companies, and six states, as well as administration, setup, security, and support of time and attendance system. Act as lead Payroll and key Finance resource for any and all projects related to the complex Kronos, Workday, and PeopleSoft payroll systems, as well an any other projects involving Payroll, including routine system maintenance and major system upgrades and implementations. Responsible for all complex and detailed Kronos pay rule creation and changes, as required by changes to pay policies, government legislation, and various union contracts. Use industry best practices whenever possible, in conjunction with BH policies.
2) Create and provide customized reports to employees, management, and various business partners and departments as required, using PeopleSoft query tool, Workday reporting, and the Kronos reporting module, providing all data electronically and paperless whenever possible. Assure confidentiality and secure electronic transfer of payroll information. Manage any changes to electronic transfers that may arise due to changes with outside vendors. Develop and test any new interfaces or changes to current interfaces that involve both external and internal systems, including but not limited to Lawson, BPC, Grants Management, etc.
3) Ensure accurate, timely, and reconciled processing of payroll and associated financial reports for all 10 Baystate Health companies and 12,000 employees. Act as main contact and Baystate lead all data transfer and interface changes to ADP SmartCompliance services for tax payments, quarterly and annual reporting, and garnishment processing. Work with ADP to address any issues with data or files, at both employee and company levels. Ensure all wage and tax data is reconciled for quarterly and annual ADP processing to various government agencies, including all Federal and state government agencies (IRS, Social Security Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, and all Massachusetts, Connecticut,
etc) Assist Tax Department in addressing any issues that need to be researched.
4) Act as main payroll contact, key liaison, and critical resource for any business requests from key partners including Human Resources, Tax, Compensation, Benefits, Information Services, Internal Audit, Treasury, Budget, etc. Establish appropriate internal control procedures and assure compliance with same. Responsible for any payroll data requests from internal auditors and external auditors for all ongoing system and departmental audits.
5) Responsible for timely and accurate distribution of $35 million biweekly payroll, as well as providing necessary data to Treasury and Tax departments for the funding and payment of all wages and taxes. Ensure biweekly electronic direct deposit file transfers are done timely and accurately for employee pay and garnishment payments.
6) Ensure accurate and uniform reporting of employee time by departmental supervisor, consistent with current personnel policies. Assist with development of training documentation, materials, and system training databases for managers. Educate system users when corrective action is necessary.
7) Maintain payroll records required by federal and state agencies, updating procedures as required by changes in payroll tax legislation. Analyze, test, and implement any changes to payroll systems due to changes in federal and state laws and regulations, as well as any vendor-required system updates and upgrades, using the Workday Payroll Compliance Updates functionality.. Implement any changes to pay practices and system configuration as required by union regulations and changes to BH policies.
8) Directly supervise all payroll personnel including the exempt positions of Payroll System Administrator and Payroll Supervisor. Responsible for hiring, evaluating, scheduling, and orientation training. Also, recommend for employee transfer, promotion, wage changes, discipline, termination and similar actions. Assist payroll staff with any processing questions they have. Assist with any of the more complex issues that may arise, and assist with any problems employees might have that require manager assistance.
9) Reconcile $20 million biweekly direct deposit transmission, as well as TSA, United Way, and garnishments. Process employee travel expenses, travel advance, tuition reimbursements, bonus payments, variable compensation payments, and any other payments to employees as required. Whenever possible, use electronic functionality for the routing and submission of payment requests and keep payroll processing as paperless as possible.
10) Work with attorneys and BH leaders as needed in matters related to compensation, union arbitrations, attendance, or any other matters involving payroll information. Create and provide reports and queries from systems as required for any such inquiries.
11) Communicate any payroll changes to managers and employees as needed.
12) Assist with any Finance special projects as needed. Act as payroll main point of contact for any such projects.
13) Act as main contact and primary processor for all payroll activities involving the BH executive payroll. This includes but is not limited to bonuses, gross-ups, financial planning, SERP, pension restoration, severance, and regular bi-weekly pay. Assist executives with any questions they have involving payroll.
14) Perform any and all day to day payroll processing, including data entry, filing,phone calls, etc whenever the payroll department staff requires assistance. Assist with employee customer service when needed.
Required Work Experience:
1) 10 years managerial experienced in a complex payroll environment. Significant experience running a payroll system for large multi-corporation.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Experience with multi-state, multi-union payroll. Experience in a healthcare environment.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Advanced skills in complex automated payroll system such as Workday, PeopleSoft, Lawson, ADP, etc.
2) Strong understanding of Kronos Time and Attendance system, including end user functions and system configuration including Pay Rules and Work Rules.
3) Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and state payroll tax laws and regulations.
4) Experience with interpreting union contracts. Strong skills with various Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Word, Outlook, Internet Explorer.
5) Ability to effectively manage a payroll staff.
6) Strong analytical skills.
7) Strong verbal and written communication skills.
8) Excellent organizational and time management skills.
9) Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Education:Bachelor of Arts (Required), Master of Arts
Certifications:Certified Payroll Professional - Other
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org