Pharmacy Tech, InpatientApply Now
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
About Baystate Health’s Acute Care Pharmacy Team
The Acute Care Pharmacy Team at Baystate Health is committed to leveraging technology to promote the safety and quality of patient care that is delivered here while advancing pharmacy practice. Our pharmacy technician career ladder was developed to meet the expanding role of the pharmacy technician in a health system and the evolving needs of the complex patient populations we serve.
Baystate Medical Center’s new high-tech inpatient pharmacy was designed with a focus on technology and includes industry-leading compounding facilities, dispensing technology and automation to safely prepare and dispense medications to our patients.
Join our pharmacy team and experience the region’s model for advanced pharmacy workflows and patient safety.
Baystate Medical Center’s pharmacy supports patient care 24-hours a day, 7-days per week. Under the supervision of a Pharmacist, our Pharmacy Technicians follow standard workflows to accurately and safely prepare, dispense and distribute sterile and non-sterile medications to our patients.
Our pharmacy technician career ladder is designed to accommodate a variety of work experiences for candidates and also provides a structure for growth opportunities for our employees. The following job categories outline the expectations and responsibilities of each of our technician roles. Candidates will be accommodated in the appropriate role based on background experience and the manager’s assessment at the time of hire.
Technician I: Primarily responsible for managing drug dispensing and distribution through an electronic inventory management system (Logistics® carousel) and the automated dispensing cabinets (Pyxis®).
Technician II: Preparation of non-sterile and sterile (IV) medications (compounding) using appropriate technology (Pharmogistics packager, MPI labeling software, DoseEdge® Workflow Manager, etc), in addition to Technician I duties.
Technician III: Preparation of non-sterile and sterile hazardous medications (compounding), in addition to Technician I and II duties.
Our employees are expected to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Follows standard workflows to ensure safety for the employee and our patients
- Follows all departmental and organizational policies and procedures
- Consistently arrives at work on time to support patient care
- Has a positive attitude, treats colleagues with respect and works well on a team
- Communicates in a respectful, positive and effective manner with all colleagues at all times
- Understands the importance and impact of all state and federal regulations as it relates to the practice of pharmacy (e.g. USP 795, 797, 800, Joint Commission, DPH, Board of Pharmacy, etc)
What You Will Need:
- Registered Technician according to Massachusetts State Code 247
- Certified according to Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)or NHA Technician certification
- Basic math skills (will be evaluated during the interview)
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Previous Hospital/Inpatient Pharmacy Experience
- Experience with Cerner®, Pyxis®, DoseEdge®, Logistics®, RxVerify®, Pharmogistics Packager
What You Need To Know:
- Availability to work mixed day and evening shifts (6 week schedule blocks posted in advance)
- Availability to work every other weekend and every other major holiday.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.