PPE and Infection Control Technician (PPE Coach)Apply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
PPE and Infection Control Technician Summary:
The Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Infection Control Technician provides guidance to protect staff, patients and visitors working in areas with the greatest potential of exposure to infectious organisms such as COVID-19. The main objectives of this position are to educate staff on the proper processes for selecting, the sequencing of donning and doffing, discarding and optimizing PPE to protect staff from infectious diseases, such as Ebola and COVID 19 viruses.
The PPE and Infection Control Technician observes and coaches from outside the patient room providing an additional focused pair of eyes to watch closely as staff or visitors Don (i.e. put on) and Doff (i.e. take-off) PPE. They develop strong relationships with all team members on their unit by offering support, encouragement and guidance.
As a good coach they constantly reinforce and recognize good technique and practices and offer corrective guidance on any potential mistakes. These real-time intervention protects staff, patients and visitors against inadvertent contamination.
Essential Functions/ Job Responsibilities:
- Maintain awareness of PPE supplies available and offer information on ordering to unit staff who order PPE for staff safety.
- Observe the donning and doffing of PPE, constantly reinforcing good practices and techniques while also providing real-time instruction, guidance and feedback for correct PPE usage.
- Understand the methods of transmission of COVID-19 and other infectious diseases and provide input to staff regarding what PPE to wear and why.
- Answer questions or seeks out experts to answer more complex inquires from the care team regarding PPE
- Participates as an active member of the care team but does not enter the patient room or deliver direct care of any kind. Is present for all code blues and Rapid Response Transport to provide real-time guidance during such emergencies.
- Guides in real-time all transport team members, support staff and Visitor PPE requirements and ensure appropriate signage is in place for each patient on precautions.
- Offers guidance and information sharing for PPE cleaning,specifically PAPR hoods, goggles and face shields.
- Organizes the PPE linen collection to get ready for pickup.
- Offers assistance to staff that may need additional help donning and/or doffing and ensures staff not assigned (MD's, PT, OT, IV Team etc) to unit are appropriately supplied with necessary PPE.
- Interacts with staff in a calm, supportive and positive manner, when instructing on safe practices, remaining non-judgmental and non-punitive at all times.
- Liaisons with supply chain on ordering and any anticipated par level changes in PPE inventory.
- Monitors compliance with hand hygiene practices and provides real-time feedback and positive reinforcement for good practices.
- Monitoring the cleaning solutions for the equipment with any changes.
- Inspecting rooms after Environmental Services cleans them to ensure all products such as bagged gowns that are often left in the room as well as equipment and suction canisters waste are moved.
- Provides mask fit testing as needed to team members and participates in regular Enterprise wide initiates to update database.
Qualifications for this role:
Preferred (Not required) Education/ Certifications/ Licenses:
- Associates degree
- Surgical Technician
- Medical Assistant
- PPE Coach Training or other directly related
Required: Formal experience in a role that requires coaching and/or teaching adult learners
Preferred: Previous experience in a direct care clinical setting
Microsoft office, outlook as well as excellent communication, teaching and organizational skills. Must enjoy supporting direct care staff and value being a member of a team. Strong relationship building skills. Calm and professional demeanor.
What you need to know:
- Job location: Springfield, MA (Baystate Medical Center)
- Shifts: Various Shifts Available (1st/2nd/3rd)
- Part-Time and Full-Time Opportunities Available
- Baystate Health is seeking PPE and Infection Control Technicians for various units including: Intensive Care Unit, Emergency Department and Intercare
If interested please apply and the Baystate Health Career Mobility Consultant will reach out to you!
Education:Associates of Science
Certifications:Certified Medical Assistant - Other, Certified Surgical Technician - Other, Licensed Practical Nurse - Other
Competencies:Collaboration, Courage, Ownership, Service focus, Values Differences
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org