Preparatory TechnicianApply Now
Location: Baystate Medical Center
Baystate Health is seeking a Preparatory Technician
What You Will Need:
As the Baystate Preparatory Technician you will be asked to perform core level position. Applying a high level of skill and knowledge performs a variety of duties involving the receipt, assessment, accessioning and preparation of patient specimens for analysis. Verifies specimen identity (type of specimen and patient information), and appropriateness of orders. Perform a variety of procedures which may include inoculation of specimens on to culture media, preparing specimens for microscopic analysis, preparing and loading specimens on to automated specimen processing or testing equipment or other preparatory techniques. Prepares basic laboratory reagents and solutions and may perform certain staining techniques. Archives specimens appropriately and/or ensures appropriate aliquots are delivered to other departments or reference laboratories for further testing as required. Able to respond to most telephone and other inquiries for laboratory test information and referring calls to other staff as appropriate. Has high level of knowledge of basic laboratory testing, equipment and techniques. Contribute to training of new staff and/or students, adheres to departmental policies and procedures. May record basic quality control data.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Following departmental procedures and instructions, carries out basic processing procedures on a variety of specimen types (blood, tissue and other types) using manual or automated methods, ensuring proper specimen preservation during all steps (positive identification, time, temperature, sterility, etc.). Uses judgment to select appropriate materials and processing algorithms based upon specimen type and orders. Refers questions to the appropriate technical staff member.
- May perform basic staining techniques such as Gram or other stains. May prepare basic laboratory reagents
- Uses Personal Protective Equipment appropriately. Through training, has basic knowledge of hazardous chemicals (carcinogens, caustic agents, radioactive materials, and biohazards substances. Where required, uses aseptic or sterile technique in handling and preparing specimens. Ensures proper handling and disposal of hazardous waste. Per departmental protocols, properly cleans and decontaminates work surfaces and equipment.
- Possesses basic knowledge of the laboratory equipment and supplies used in specimen processing, which may include centrifuges, processors, Isolators and auto-strainers. Bacteriologic loops and incinerators, incubators, refrigerators and freezers. Employs basic troubleshooting skills. Responsible for using supplies within established outdates and for maintaining a clean organized and appropriately stocked workstation.
- Follows all departmental and BH policies regarding compliance. Observes and promotes the BH organizational standards of behavior.
What You Will Need:
High School Diploma or GED
Minimum 1 year experience in a laboratory environment.
- High level of computer skills. Ability to grasp and retain complex information and apply high level of attention to detail.
- Assume responsibility for timeliness and quality of work performed. Ability to work in complex, high volume environment and to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to work as a team with others. Good knowledge of lab equipment, chemical and biohazards, personal protective equipment.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to work productively in a team environment.
- Good familiarity with medical and laboratory terminology.
- Ability to prioritize work.
What You Need To Know:
Part-time / 4 hours
Alternate weekends and holidays.
Hours of operations: 10am-2pm
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.