Sr Security OfficerApply Now
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
This position is assigned to Baystate Medical Center. As the only level one Trauma Center in Western Mass we deal with numerous criminal traumas both in the Emergency Department and inpatient units. We also see a large number of behavioral health and dual diagnosis patients in our facility. We are often called upon to provide 1:1 watches on any of the above patients as requested. We are also located in elevated crime area. Under direction of Security Supervisor patrols interior and exterior of facilities and acts to deter loss of property and belongings to employees, patients and visitors by preventing illegal entry by unauthorized individuals. Knowledge of policy procedures and arrest powers. Assists in restraining patients when called upon by nursing staff. Monitors surveillance camera and reports and investigates any suspicious activity. In doing so examines doors and windows to ensure they are secured as well as checking and maintaining security hospital vehicles. Monitors fire and security alarm as well as dispatching of calls for assistance. Provides escorts for employees and visitors as necessary. Assists in traffic control for fires as well as other emergency situations. Performs duties of Charge Person for the shift in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Patrols assigned areas of the institution and exterior premises on foot or mobile patrol according to established schedule.
- Report any unusual occurrences property damage and thefts and all suspicious activities.
- Prepares reports specific to the problem noted.
- Interacts with staff by communicating crime prevention and security awareness information.
- Enforces the access control program.
- Issues visitor badges in accordance with policy.
- Explains access denials clearly, following policy guidelines.
- Identifies persons without identification in all areas of Baystate Health facilities.
- Ensures doors within the patrol area are secured/opened at correct times and completes unsecured door reports.
- Documents inspection of high risk areas.
- Clears floors of visitors as requested by nursing staff.
- Issues vendor and other specialty badges.
- Takes immediate action to correct security/safety problems.
- Conducts building rounds to ensure that doors/windows are securely locked.
- Responds to request to lock and unlock doors and also secures doors according to specified schedules.
- Performs all duties in the command center.
- Operates the Premises access control system by acknowledging alarms, opening doors and reporting unusual events to the supervisor.
- Monitors surveillance cameras, fire and security and infant alarm systems.
- Ensures correct responses and notifications are made.
- Dispatches call for assistance as received and appropriate personnel to the scene of the incidents within established time limits as provided in response instructions.
- Dispatches staff for any emergency code responses as needed.
- Provides information to the public as needed.
- Responds to and initiates calls to the Springfield Police on the CommNet radio system.
- Responds to codes and other emergencies immediately as directed by the supervisor.
- Operates fire equipment following department procedures.
- Has a working knowledge of emergency response plans and assists the supervisor in setting up the emergency operations center (EOC) and staffs the EOC as required.
- Will also notify Police when appropriate.
- Assists in traffic control.
- Keeps fire lanes clear of traffic.
- Provides direction to visitors on parking and patient pick-up areas.
- Performs traffic control for helicopter landings.
- Follows procedures for enforcement of parking rules and completes reports.
- Controls vehicle traffic in and around the institution to prevent congestion.
- Screen at parking gates periodically as part of the parking enforcement plan.
- Maintain knowledge of arrest procedures and police powers as it pertains to the security assignments.
- Detain or arrest individuals suspected of committing crime in or around hospital premises as mandated by Mass General Laws and files proper reports by end of shift.
- Handles disruptive situations.
- Understands policy on use of force.
- Employs proven crisis intervention techniques.
- Demonstrates understanding of restraint protocols.
- Works with other departments to provide a team approach to solving disruptive incidents.
- Conducts prelliminary investigations.
- Collects all required preliminary information at scene of incident which includes personal data, property data, relevant times and circumstances.
- Renders a report in a timely manner.
- Conducts complete investigations on lost and found property cases.
- Checks all repositories, nursing units and shows the ability to trace patient progress through the facility.
- Performs special assignments.
- Controls the movements of patients identified by the medical staff as being at risk.
- Provides temporary support to clinics, offices or other areas as required.
- Operates shuttles and performs mobile patrols.
- Provide emergency transport of persons, records and specimens.
- Provides security for special events.
- Provides escorts.
- Ensures timely and safe escort to employees and others within the medical facility for Behavioral Patients and Criminal Traumas or others as requested by care team.
- Performs patient watches in Emergency Department and on inpatient units on occasion and upon request.
- Demonstrates and models principles of service excellence in support of the patient /employee experience.
- Photo ID System- has working knowledge on ID sytem to create, reprint ID badges and provide access in both 9000 and Premisys System.
- Demontrates professionalism when directing employees, staff, visitors and patients to all areas of the hospital as requested. Provide assistance to above as needed.
- Officers will provide escorts to the Operating Room or other procedures areas as required and for admissions to nursing units for Criminal traumas. They will also support nursing uits in the event of a Criminal Trauma admission by visitor screening at the bedside with Photo Id Checks on all visitors and will position themselves outside patient room for the first 48 hours of any admission. Detail may continue if threat assessment warrants.
- Monitors Utility alarm panels med gas/nitrous oxide.
- Monitors alarms and activity for Global Threat Reduction Initiative for the Blood Irradiator rooms.
High School / GED
1 year in Security Field
Valid Driver’s License
Position is subject to additional requirements (BH-HR-902 Fleet Policy)
Applicants must possess a valid driver's license recognized by the employee's state of residence and satisfactory finding from their Motor Vehicle history report as a contingency of employment. A drug screen is required after an offer of employment is extended. Failure to comply with or have acceptable test results will result in the rescinding of the employment offer. Employees whose positions are covered by this policy are subject to random drug screening and an annual review of their motor vehicle history.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Trouble applying or uploading a resume? We invite you to email us at talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org or call us at 413-794-3666.