Surgical TechnologistApply Now
Full / Part Time:Full time
Thank you for applying to the Surgical Technologist position with Baystate Health. We are currently recruiting for various shifts and hours. Baystate Health is located in Springfield MA, convenient to the Mass Pike, I-91, and other highways.
The Daly Operating Room is comprised of 18 operating rooms that support multiple specialty service lines; Level 1 Trauma Service, Pediatrics, Neurosurgery, Bariatric Surgery, General GYN Surgery, Total Joint, Orthopedic Trauma, Transplant, Thoracic, Plastic, Robotics and Urology.
Other surgical areas include the Heart & Vascular OR, and the Chestnut Day Surgery OR.
Come join our team.
Under the direction of the Unit Manager, RN Clinical Operations Coordinator and/or RN Service Leads the Surgical Technologist works directly under surgeon/physician guidance to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures.
The Surgical Technologist must possess expertise in the theory and application of aseptic technique; demonstrate the ability to combine knowledge of human anatomy, the surgical process and procedures including instrumentation and advancing technologies. The surgical technologist will be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeons and or physicians by constant attention and assessment of the surgical process and patient condition to promote a safe, expedient, quality surgical outcome. These skills will facilitate the surgeons and or physicians performance of minimally invasive, invasive surgical procedures and invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. The Surgical Technologist must be able to function proficiently in a variety of surgical specialty services.
The Surgical Technologist provides patient care primarily through service to the physician/ surgeon. The Surgical Technologist is expected to have an understanding of the procedure being performed, anticipate the needs of the surgeon/physician and have the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure, while monitoring the sterile field. The Surgical Technologist is accountable for maintaining skills and knowledge to function in commensurate with their assignments and within policies and procedures of the department.
1) Maintains safety in the operation, management, inspection of designated equipment and instruments according to manufacturer's guidelines and established policy and procedure.
2) Participates as part of the operating team requiring knowledge of the patient's history, allergies, and intra-operative care plan.
3) Demonstrates knowledge in the use of pharmacological agents dispensed to the sterile field with the ability to recognize mixtures, doses and labels in accordance with policies and procedures.
4) Maintains an environment conducive to patient safety and aseptic technique in surgical care performance.
5) Accurately completes any required documentation of tasks specific to and within the surgical technologist scope of practice.
6) Meets the requirements of the designated clinical recognition ladder for a Surgical Technologist Level I.
7) Demonstrates skills and knowledge in sharps safety initiatives.
8) Demonstrates skill and knowledge in intra-operative temperature regulation measures.
9) Demonstrates knowledge and skills of specimen handling and labeling.
10) Demonstrates good knowledge and communication of medical terminology.
Associate's Degree in Surgical Technology
Or program accredited by Committee on Allied Health Education Association or have completed a structured training program and hold a professional equivalent
Preferred Work Experience:
Less than 24 months experience for a level I
New hires will require certification if they had no experience in a surgical facility prior to July 1, 2013.
Candidates with more experience/certifications may be considered for a higher level within the career ladder
Skills and Competencies:
A Surgical Technologist possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures
Education:Associates of Science: Surgical Technology (Required)
Certifications:Certified Surgical Technician - Other
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org