Tumor RegistrarApply Now
Conducts tumor registry tasks, which are moderately complex, in accordance with established protocols, guidelines and SOP of the Regional Cancer Program. Performs duties, which involve tumor registry business in conducting cancer registry functions. The tumor registry Data Coordinator is responsible for preparing data for abstracting, with accuracy and completeness, correcting and revising data as appropriate, and completing follow-up data as assigned. Gathers survival information on all patients diagnosed and treated with cancer at Baystate Medical Center and updates the cancer registry in accordance with Massachusetts state law and American College of Surgeons standards. Facilitates access for physicians to Baystate Regional Oncology Program services. Assists the Senior Research Nurse Coordinator in maintaining the operations of the tumor registry by assigning duties and monitoring the Tumor Registry Associates in the daily operation of the Tumor Registry business. This position requires reviewing, analyzing and maintaining the medical records in accordance with SOP. Demonstrates good working relationships with other staff and physicians and exhibits a team spirit approach to problem-solving.
1) Maintains data abstracting within acceptable American College of Surgeons standards. Maintains reporting to the Massachusetts State Cancer Registry according to SOP. Maintains appropriate procedures to be in compliance with American College of Surgeons standards. Maintains procedures for retrieving, abstracting and disseminating data utilized in the preparation of audits for studies and statistical reports. Maintains procedure manuals in accordance with state regulations and American College of Surgeons standards.
2) Arranges for Tumor Committee meetings in association with Tumor Registry Associates.
3) Performs audits and special studies for medical staff as directed by the Medical Director of the Baystate Regional Oncology Program.
4) Prepares information for the Senior Research Nurse Coordinator as directed for feasibility of research studies. Prepares and submits information for Tumor Registry Annual Report under the guidance of the Medical Director.
5) Identifies, registers patients diagnosed with malignant disease, abstracts data into MRS and follows up appropriately.
6) Communicates with physicians and clinical staff at other sites for data collection by telephone or visits to facility. Communicates all related questions or problems to research nurse coordinator.
7) Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Research Nurse Coordinator, assists in the training of new staff, providing appropriate assignments and monitoring of the staff's work.
8) Assists in developing outcome measurements and PI indicators as established by Cancer Committee.
9) Works collaboratively with clinical trials staff regarding protocol/tumor registry procedures and modifications when appropriate.
Required Work Experience:
1) 3-5 years related experience
2) Tumor Registrar Certification required upon eligibility
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Compentencies:
1) Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required
2) Good communicatgion and organizational skills
3) Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy and physiology
4) Ability to use PC
5) Basic knowledge of English and grammar
6) Knowledge of office procedures
7) Requires ordinary courtesy and effectiveness when dealing with others
8) Interaction with others is usually for exchanging information or seeking instructions or clarity
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org