Surgical Technologist Per DeimApply Now
Full / Part Time:Part time
Under the direction of the Unit Manager, RN Clinical Operations Coordinator and RN Service Leads the Surgical Technologist works directly under surgeon/physician guidance to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures.
The Surgical Technologist must possess expertise in the theory and application of aseptic technique; demonstrate the ability to combine knowledge of human anatomy, the surgical process and procedures including instrumentation and advancing technologies. The surgical technologist will be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeons/physicians by constant attention and assessment of the surgical process and patient condition to promote a safe, expedient, quality surgical outcome. These skills will facilitate the surgeons/physicians performance of minimally invasive, invasive surgical procedures and invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. The Surgical Technologist must be able to function proficiently in a variety of surgical specialty services.
The Surgical Technologist provides patient care primarily through service to the physician/ surgeon. The Surgical Technologist is expected to have an understanding of the procedure being performed, anticipate the needs of the surgeon/physician and have the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure, while monitoring the sterile field. The Surgical Technologist is accountable for maintaining skills and knowledge to function in commensurate with their assignments and within policies and procedures of the department. This description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform other similar and/or related duties as assigned after demonstrating competency.
1) Meets the requirements of the designated clinical recognition ladder for a Surgical Technologist Level II.
2) Recognizes instrumentation kit/case cart discrepancies and is proactive to ensure discrepancies.
3) Promotes quality/appropriate patient care within defined limits.
4) Maintains appropriate attitude and work practices consistent with team goals and positive service responsive relationships.
5) Communicates any needs of the patient to the nurse, surgeon, anesthesiologist or other appropriate person when necessary.
6) Assists in the appropriate positioning of the patient for the administration of anesthesia and for specialty specific surgical procedures.
7) Applies Infection Control practices through appropriate maintenance of the surgical environment of care.
8) Manages intra-operative equipment including set up, cleaning and positioning.
9) Interacts with all members of the health care team effectively using professional communication with team members.
10) Adapts to change and modifications of the intra-operative plan of care. Demonstrates knowledge in the use of pharmacological agents dispensed to the sterile field with the ability to recognize mixtures, doses, and labels in accordance with policies and procedures.
Required Work Experience:
1) Or program accredited by Committee on Allied Health Education Association or have completed a structured training program and hold a professional equivalent
Skills and Competencies:
1) A Surgical Technologist possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures
Hours/Schedule: Per Diem - varies
Education:Associates of Science: Surgical Technology (Required)
Certifications:Certified Surgical Technician - Other
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or contact us through the email link below. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please include your contact information and specific details about your requested accommodation to support you during the job application process.
To request assistance by phone, contact us at: 413-794-3666
For Email requests: talent.acquisitionFD@baystatehealth.org